Words by Steven Fernandez.
The Academy Awards are around the corner, but the Oscars of hair are already here. This Friday 22nd February is the grand final of the 2014 L’Oreal Colour Trophy Awards, where twenty of New Zealand’s best hair stylists will battle it out for the coveted L’Oreal Colour Trophy.
It’s one of the most anticipated events on the New Zealand hairdressing and fashion calendars. The twenty chosen finalists below are the last remaining from an initial intake of 300 entries. Check out who “made the cut” and some pictures below of their submissions that put them in the running to take the top prize.
In 2014 the L’Oréal Colour Trophy will have a new format, taking inspiration from catwalks around the globe.
The event represents a collaboration of hair and fashion, combining top hairstylists and New Zealand’s leading fashion talent working together to deliver high-impact fashion shows – topped off with the awards recognising the country’s top hairdressing talent.
L’Oréal Colour Trophy is made up of four major titles which include the prestigious supreme award - NZ Hairdresser of the Year. To decide the winner of the individual awards, each finalist competes in a live recreation session of his or her chosen style to reveal the section winners.
Judges look for an overall concept that brings together colour, cut, style, make-up, fashion and photography with a focus on the hair and hair colour.
Want to see this recreation live? We’re giving away a double pass for you to attend the L’Oreal Colour Trophy Awards 2014 this Friday 22nd February at Auckland’s Vector Arena. Simply enter your name and email address here and you could be going along with a friend.
For more information, head over to the official Facebook page here.
L’Oréal Colour Trophy Awards 2014 Finalists
The Supreme Award – NZ Hairdresser of the Year
- Brad Lepper – French Revolver Studio, Auckland
- Helen Afu – Rodney Wayne Sylvia Park, Auckland
- Jan Waite – Jan Waite Hairdressing, Auckland
- Jock Robson – Dharma, Auckland
- Michael Beel – Buoy Hairdressing, Wellington
- Natasha Dawson – Rodney Wayne Botany, Auckland
- Rebecca Brent – Willis York, Wellington
- Stefan Van Der Merwe – Rodney Wayne Queensgate, Wellington
The Young Colourist Award
- Dawn Thomson – Rodney Wayne, Whangarei
- Emily Bryson – Rodney Wayne Cuba Mall, Wellington
- Samantha Bell – Jomp Hair Design, Wellington
- Valeria Lenskaia – Bettjemans, Auckland
The Men’s Image Award
- Guy Roberts – Vada, Auckland
- Penelope Davies – Adoux Hair, Tauranga
- Sara Carswell – Blaze, Auckland
- Tony Elwin – Durham Hair, Auckland
The Salon of the Year Award
- Bettjemans, Auckland
- Blaze, Auckland
- Rodney Wayne Pakuranga, Auckland
- Venom, Invercargill